Wednesday 21 July 2021

How I developed my own photography business - Rais Hussain (Law)

University of Birmingham Law student Rais Hussain, runs a photography and videography business and offers his services for all types of events and occasions.

Rais: A few years ago, I purchased my first camera; it wasn't the best or most up-to-date piece of equipment, but it did the job and allowed me to capture many moments. It all started with me carrying my camera about with me and my friends, shooting whatever images we liked. 

When I first started university, I was fortunate enough to receive student funding, which allowed me to upgrade my setup, which many people around me thought was a ridiculous investment, but I was determined to make something of it.

If I'm being honest, I didn't set out with a strategy; my goal was to take images and make
money in the process. It wasn't until a friend in the media industry recommended me to a client, and I was paid £50 an hour to shoot at a studio for some local artists. After that experience and with the photographs I had taken, I proceeded to build up my portfolio, and as things progressed, I decided to take a chance and establish myself as a legitimate business with a registered company, website, and clients... and that's led me to the position I am in now.

B-Enterprising helped me get started with a £500 start-up fund. I was taken through an
application process that would support establishing my business from a financial aspect after finding the web page on the university's website and contacting Kerry from the Careers
Network, which has been really helpful in jumpstarting my freelancing career.

The finest part of operating a business, in my opinion, is taking satisfaction in doing what you love while still being able to support yourself financially. There aren't many people in the world who can claim they enjoy what they do for a living, so having that opportunity is a great blessing, and I intend to take advantage of it and see where it leads me.

On the other side, I believe the most difficult component of running a business is the fact that all of the responsibility falls exclusively on your shoulders. It takes some getting used to at first. Finding clients to use my services has been one of my biggest challenges so far, and in order to solve this problem, I need to start connecting with more people, look into different marketing methods, and a lot more, all of which require time and commitment that no one else but me can provide.

One thing I wish I had known before starting my company is that I don't always need to be entirely prepared when taking on a new project. If you wait for the stars to align before taking action, you'll find yourself stuck in the same place for a long time, making no progress. I should have taken the risk sooner, as it would have given me more time to concentrate on myself and my business.

I wouldn't say I've learned anything significant from my experience thus far because I'm still in the early phases of running my company, but I can say that it's been a lot easier than I anticipated. 

Now I understand that being a business owner has no boundaries; if I wanted to start another business tomorrow, I could, and it is a powerful asset to have, and this type of information should be easily available to people of all ages and backgrounds. 

Find out more by visiting the Rais Hussain Photography website here.


With thanks to Rais Hussain

Edited by Bob Lee



No comments:

Post a Comment