Tuesday 20 July 2021

The anime inspired start-up - Wing Hang Leung (Weeb Express)

After graduating in 2020 with a degree in Materials, Science and Technology, Wing Hang Leung has created an online shop. Weeb Express celebrates the world of anime with products ranging from key chains, posters, figurines and plush toys. Most of them are imported from suppliers in Asia and sold in the UK.

Wing: I have always been a big anime fan since I was little. I joined Anime and Manga Society at UoB and met many anime fans with similar interests. Throughout the 3 years at uni, 

I could tell that the anime community is growing in the UK from the increasing number of our society members every year. Anime fans love to collect merchandise of their favourite character or series and there's certainly a high demand for that. 

However, there isn't many anime merchandise retailer in the UK; anime merchandise are being sold overpriced and the product range is limited. Some hardcore anime fans would rely on proxy service to import products from Japan, however that requires extra postage and delivery time. This is something that I would like to solve.

I am an experienced figurines collector myself and I sell some of my collections on Facebook Marketplace sometimes. I always have an idea of starting an anime business myself since I want to work in something I am passionate about. After my temporary job contract ended in June 2021, I had plenty of time to think about what I want to do in the future. I then remembered the B-Enterprising Start-Up Fund which I saw at a careers fair before lockdown. I started planning and researching in June 2021, and the business went live in July.

Best and Worst aspects of running your own business?

Best Aspects....I have registered as a sole-trader which means I am self- employed. My working hours are very flexible and it is ideal for someone who loves to stay at home. It is also great that I am working towards my goals and my dream. Worst Aspects: Income can be unstable and I might have to work for long hours. I can't completely rely on income from the
business for living at the start-up stage. I have to get another job which means busy life. I also have to pay for stocks using my own money which could be a risk. However, believe in my business.


Name one thing you wish you knew before you started your business venture: 

Nothing seriously bad has happened so far. However, I learnt that we can't have 0 value on item when we are importing to the UK. My stock l got stuck at customs for 2 weeks since one of the item was a gift with 0 value. Fortunately, the stock wasn't urgent and I did receive it in the end after communicating with the local clearance office.

The link between being part of a society and running a business:

I was the president of Anime and Manga Society in 2019-2020. That society really helped me to grow a lot and became more social. Although working as a society committee required a lot of hard work and definitely wasn't an easy job, I was always proud and happy to see everyone making friends and enjoying their time. This is how I figured out starting an anime business would be something that I would love to do. I can communicate with customers who also love anime, there's nothing happier than talking about what you enjoy together.

Never give up on your dream. And it is fulfilling working towards your goal

Visit the Weeb Express website here - launches in July 2021

 

No comments:

Post a Comment