Thursday 22 July 2021

Designing a new table-top card game - Meet Sam Walkden from Deep Etch Games

Philosophy student Sam Walkden has created a table top gaming start-up called Deep Etch Games. He is currently working on a new fantasy deck-building card game and working with freelancers to develop the unique artwork needed to complete the games design.

Sam: I have always had a keen interest in the art of game design and often think up tons of ideas of my own for different games that I would like to make. At the beginning of lockdown in 2020, I had plenty of time on my hands and decided to make a first prototype for one of these game ideas. I enjoy playing a multitude of games from various genres and combined my knowledge of what I love about these games, mixed in with my own unique ideas, to create this first prototype for a new deck-building card game. 

Through this past year, I have continued to playtest this game with friends and family. I have gone through many iterations and rule changes after actioning the feedback I got. This has led me to a point where I feel this card game is mechanically sound and that it is ready for more people to get their hands on it and play.

So far I have been testing and prototyping using stock assets and my own free tools. If I would want to show off the game to more people and get more interest in the project, I would need my own original art assets to look like a full card game you can buy off the shelf. I have been hiring multiple freelance artists to help provide artwork for the game. Paying for their services can be very costly, so funding provided by the university has helped contribute to getting these art assets which will ultimately be used for the final product.

The best part about running my own business is the fact that I have full creative freedom over this project. It's exciting to be able to see something I have worked on alone come together to become a complete and fun game that people can play! The worst aspect of running my own business must be the fact that everything takes so much time! I have spent countless hours playtesting, writing up art briefs, writing rule books and strategy guides, etc. However, this time spent has been extremely useful as it has taught me a lot about project management, game design and how to run my own business. 

I wish I knew how much legal stuff needed to be taken care of! When hiring freelance artists to provide artwork for my game, I need to have them sign 'Non-Disclosure Agreements' so that they do not share any of the information I give them and sign 'Statements of Work' which legally state what it is they are being paid to do and how much I am giving them to do this.

These were important as I did not want my unique idea and game mechanics stolen as to be reused anywhere else. Lucky, I had a lot of help with writing these from my Dad as he has had a lot of experience doing this sort of work before.

I now have a broad understanding of what it takes to fully create a tabletop game on my own. From designing, to creating prototypes, to communicating with other parties to get the assets I need, I feel these are valuable skills which could help me get into the gaming industry as well as even make more games of my own in future. I am not fully finished with this project as there are still many more checkpoints to meet such as talking with printing firms to get the game to the market when it is finished, but I now feel capable at being able to apply my new skills and knowledge to other if I ever come to work on them.

Being able to turn something you are passionate about into something that could eventually be bought and enjoyed by others is really fun and exciting. I still have a long way to go, but I've had a blast making this game and seeing it go from a few pieces of paper to something anyone can pick up and play. I hope that when I do come to releasing it that people enjoy playing it just as much as I have enjoyed making it.


With thanks to Sam Walkden, Edited by Bob Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment