Tuesday 29 January 2019

Starting a yoga company while studying medicine - Mary Perrins

Clear your mind, take a deep breath and get ready for a relaxing read about yoga. We caught up with UoB Medical Student Mary Perrins and the journey she has been on to fulfill her ambition of becoming a yoga teacher.

Mary talks to us about the difficulty of getting started as a teacher, the patience required to find the right opportunity and how she combatted her fears of starting a business. All this in addition to juggling a busy academic schedule.

I initially set up to do individual yoga classes in people's homes, However, I was made full time as a Research Assistant and there was little time for me to do this.

However, I made a business plan, a marketing strategy, starting branding myself and put together a list of initial costs.'

Through applying for the Ideas Fund, Mary was able to purchase yoga equipment and insurance to complete her set up.

"The Ideas Fund made me put myself out there and gave me the motivation. It also covered the costs of getting insured which meant I was studio-ready as I had already invested a lot to get myself trained as a teacher. I actually achieved what I wanted - to start teaching yoga professionally! 



Do you want to try an idea out? Apply for £500 on the B-Enterprising Ideas Fund





No comments:

Post a Comment