Tuesday 28 March 2023

The start-up idea built from a passion for motor racing | Jamie Thornton

Economics student Jamie Thornton loves motor racing. So much so, that he has turned a passion project into a business by creating a Remote Control (RC) company called Zebon Ltd. 

Jamie was recently awarded start-up funding by the university, and is in the early stages of setting up. We caught up with him to find out about start-up life in the fast lane, how it all started and the road ahead in 2023.

Jamie: In my first year I joined University of Birmingham Motorsport Club (UBMRC) and quickly found a passion for motor racing. Zebon Ltd spawned from this interest in motorsport. 

Having experienced the great expense that motorsport entails, I wanted to create another way for me to race competitively and cheaply. Another major goal, perhaps a bit further down the line, is to reduce the barriers to entry into motorsport, promoting equal opportunity for racing drivers.

The business is exploring a new avenue for remote-control cars, combining technologies used in the hobby-grade drone industry with remote-control cars. The business aspires to innovate in the RC car space and create a new way for motorsport enthusiasts to express themselves.

"I have a target to start selling the product on the market before the end of 2023"

I have received support from the university for my idea and I have attended events run by the B-Enterprising Team. 

The start-up programme, Let's get this Start-Up started provided me with lots of thought exercises to make sure that I'm going down the right path and that I have a sound business plan. I also received funding through the B-Enterprising Start-Up Fund. I have also been to multiple meetings/presentations about intellectual property which have been very informative.

What are the best aspects of starting a business? Never ending learning, there are always new challenges that require new skills to solve. For example, I have had to learn various aspects of electronics, CAD, 3D printing and coding, as well as exercising business and finance related skills.

The more difficult aspects of start-up. I would say when feeling particularly uninspired, self doubt can begin to creep in and make moving forwards difficult. 

Having to explain the idea without having a product to show for it has been a bit monotonous, however this will become easier when I am selling the product(s). The business venture also takes time which is difficult alongside my degree!

Name one thing you wish you knew when you started...

This is quite tricky to answer as I am grateful for everything I have learned so far and all of the challenges I have experienced have been necessary for me to develop my business and learn. However I do wish that I knew about the support on offer at the university a little sooner than I did.

You can achieve an awful lot if you set your mind to it. I've developed many new skills from the process of designing my own product. Also intellectual property rights have been an eye opener (and a mouth-shutter!).

I am in my final year now. After my dissertation I will be setting up an Etsy shop to help fund my Research and Development. Other than that, I just need to get on with getting on with it and working towards a product launch at the end of the year.

With thanks to Jamie Thornton
Added by Bob Lee

Jamie is pictured on the first image (Black helmet, No 37) racing for Birmingham at Buckmore Park


 

No comments:

Post a Comment