Wednesday 25 May 2022

The power of mentoring and getting a different perspective

Whether you are starting your own business or considering your next steps in your future career, having a mentor can give you a different perspective and help you realise your future ambitions. 

The Careers Network team at the University of Birmingham runs a mentoring programme with UoB alumni mentors called Alumni Leadership Mentoring Programme (ALMP) and is open to undergraduate students in the penultimate year. So if you are graduating next year (2023) and would like help from a mentor then you can apply to join before the deadline date of Sunday 12 June 2022.

Don't worry if you are not in your penultimate year - there are plenty of opportunities to get involved with mentoring and you can see the latest Mentoring opportunities here

The ALMP programme offers a diverse mix of mentors from different sectors listed on the Mentoring website and there are a collection of case studies now available showcasing student experiences. We have picked out three of these stories that include mentors from an entrepreneurial background. Read the following snippets from Tommy Siddell, Iveta Pudilova and Jessica Conn with an option to find out more underneath each one:

Medical Biochemistry student Tommy Siddell has been mentored by UoB alumni entrepreneur Dr Sam Decombel who started FitnessGenes - a well established business that analyses DNA and creates tailored fitness regimes for individuals and athletes. 

Tommy: Sam has helped me progress careers applications successfully, given me the opportunity to carry out work experience in central London, and most importantly has helped me recognise my ability and strengths. Me and Sam usually meet once or twice a month, the frequency of our meetings depends on how much we have to discuss. 



Final year Political Economy student Iveta Pudilova created her own start-up idea but needed inspiration so turned to ALMP programme. Iveta's mentor, Dr Marily Comrie is a serial entrepreneur and Director of STEM Motorsport education provider The Blair Project.

Iveta: So somehow in my free time in my second year, I found myself learning about computer science, marketing, and entrepreneurship. 

I was working here and there and with the help of B-Enterprising I was on my way to developing my own start-up…but I still felt a bit lost. 

My mentorship with Dr Marilyn Comrie - Director of the Blair Project and CEO of Manchester Innovation Activities Hub - gave me not only the knowledge but most importantly the confidence to make a plan and take my goals to the next level. Now I’ve applied for a Master’s degree in Computer Science and have a step by step plan for setting up a business!



Final year Business Management with Marketing student Jessica Conn was mentored by Henrietta Brierley, the CEO of Greater Birmingham Chamber of Commerce and talks about how her mentor relationship has given her a new direction.

Jessica: The experience so far has been amazing. I remember walking out of my first meeting with Henrietta with a massive smile on my face and feeling really motivated. Some of our early meetings consisted of me talking through my experience and my ideas for the future. Even though I did an industrial placement, I was still really unsure and quite confused about what I wanted to do. 

My mentor was able to put me in touch with someone within her marketing department which gave me an amazing insight into marketing. Having this knowledge was really helpful in application processes to grad jobs, and not to mention the interview practice I did with my mentor. I think through it all, just being able to build relationships and connect with people has been so wonderful through this experience. 


Start a conversation with the Mentoring Team and see how a mentor can help you. Visit their website here or contact mentoring@contacts.bham.ac.uk


The above case studies are part of a collection of stories featured on the Careers Network Mentoring website. View all stories on the Alumni Leadership Mentoring Programme webpage here.

---

With thanks to Rachel Gamble (Mentoring). This blog added by Bob Lee (B-Enterprising)

No comments:

Post a Comment