Wednesday 2 June 2021

Running a business with swarm robots - Meet Computer Science entrepreneur Joe Maliszewski

t
Do you remember a film called WALL-E about a robot of the same name who was programmed to clear up waste and quite literally clean up Planet Earth?

Well, UoB Advanced Computer Science graduate Joe Maliszewski has created a swarm robot start-up called SWARM AI which echoes that of the lead character from the Pixar animated film released in 2008. 

SWARM AI Ltd have been developing swarm technology combined with artificial intelligence and computer vision to help solve large scale problems primarily within the construction industry. The developments have included designing swarm robots to pick out recycling at landfill sites, thus creating a more sustainable waste eco-system known as 'Project Anteater'.

Joe has been working on a robot design which when replicated can be used as a 'swarm' to help pick out metal recycling in landfill sites amongst other tasks. The robots carry out tasks independently but are programmed to communicate with each other using AI, enabling an efficient way of operating without getting tired. Joe has been developing the idea and spending time working on the design, finding alternative ways to use swarm robots for different tasks and developing his idea named by Joe as 'Project Anteater'.

We caught up with Joe to hear about his experiences and to learn how he has made the most of the many funding opportunities around him to help this exciting project....

What is the most exciting and challenging thing about being self-employed?

Joe: My prime motivation for entering entrepreneurship was to take advantage of the opportunity to
make disruptive technology. I find the prospect of bringing my vision into a reality an exciting one. Also I enjoy the sense of freedom to make my own decisions entrepreneurship brings, and to be on the forefront of AI, implementing my own ideas. There are however some challenges that have been presented, including ensuring meticulous planning, and maintaining momentum and self-discipline.

Additionally, I have found myself in times of ambiguity or doubt, however acquiring more knowledge about the problem and talking to advisors has helped me move forwards in these instances. Keeping patient and learning from mistakes has also at times been a challenge. A prime challenge for me was to obtain the funding to build my project. The UoB entrepreneurial network at UoB is well established, whereby taking advantage of all the events has allowed me to make good connections. In doing so, I have managed to not only obtain initial funding, but also received invaluable guidance and feedback.

The challenge I face at the moment is that I am still doing part time external work to keep myself on my feet, whilst developing my own project. I'm now pitching to investors, and applying for grants in order to obtain further funding which should enable me to go full time.


What inspired you to start your own company and how did you get there?

Having seen the potential in computer vision and artificial intelligence to date, I could also see how this could be applied to swarm technology. In a commercial setting, this could be applied in the tackling of large scale problems with unprecedented speed and accuracy, and at low cost to the consumer. I completed a masters and obtained the necessary experience to learn the skills, with the intention to use them to carry out my vision. 

During my masters, I was able to bend my courseworks to also develop part of my commercial product. For example, my thesis was the basis of my product. Furthermore, I took every opportunity I could UoB had to offer, including the Birmingham Start-Up Games, entrepreneurial events, connection events, Vice Chancellor's challenge, B-Enterprising Boot Camp, Q and A sessions, 1-2-1 sessions, start-up fund, Ronjon Nag Entrepreneurship competition, mentorship schemes. I found strong mentors, through the Birmingham alumni, which has been invaluable. Furthermore, I have found schemes at UoB that provided funding (~£25k in total) computer vision and technical expertise.


Joe's 10 tips to help you start a business

  1. Understand the importance of leverage by offering equity. I have found bringing good people in has drastically moved the project forward. 
  2. Listen to feedback, and implement it. You will usually find common themes, which should not be ignored.
  3. Your vision may change, and that's not a problem. It may be completely different to what it was to begin with. 
  4. Take advantage of all the opportunities available. UoB has a vast network, and entrepreneurial opportunities. 
  5. Keep on top of the tasks, keep agile and keep the momentum (JIRA) 
  6. Look for grants, and competitions. 
  7. Find good mentors and advisors, they are invaluable, and will provide motivation and direction, when things get difficult or ambiguous. 
  8. Make efforts to make connections in your field 
  9. Minimal input for maximal output. For example, you do not need a perfect product to pitch. A simple demo will suffice to show the vision. Otherwise you risk creating a product no one wants and wasting time and resources (the lean startup). 
  10. Keeping on top of the admin processes. It can be a painfully slow process, (suppliers, funding, accounting), so get it all started early if possible, or you will risk being delayed, and have development blocked. 

Get help with your own idea through the B-Enterprising team here.

With thanks to Joe Maliszewski
Arranged by Kerry Brunn

No comments:

Post a Comment