Friday 18 June 2021

How an act of kindness inspired this new start-up - Tamzin Meyer (BA English and History)


Tamzin Meyer is in her final year of an English and History degree and she has recently
started a business called Kindness Capsule which has been inspired by a single act of kindness unexpectedly.

Tamzin: My business sells wellbeing gift packages filled with treats like teddy bears, sweets, and candles. Each box comes with a personalized scroll, with the box being something that can be gifted to loved ones or bought as a treat for one's self. We do a variety of different, themed packages with the main aim being to spread kindness and brighten up someone's day.

I was inspired by my own mental health struggles with anxiety and depression; you can feel really alone and worthless when you have to deal with your own mind on a daily basis. 

My friend surprised me with an unexpected gift when I was feeling at my lowest which made my day brighter and made me realise that there were people who were there for me. It was this that inspired me to transform this act of kindness into a business. I wanted to make as many people smile as possible when they receive an unexpected gift through the mail.

I have had online group meetings with the B-Enterprising team and other students who also have start ups. As part of the professional skills module for my course, the team has given me valuable advice on the legal side of my business and has helped me write a detailed business plan.

What are the best and worst aspects of running your own business?: 

The best aspect of running my own business is the sense of achievement and joy I get when I get my next order. It makes me eager to get to work, knowing that I will be making somebody happier with my product. I also love running my own social media page to promote my products on, using Canva to design creative advertising.

The worst aspects of running a business are the moments when I do not get as many orders as I would have liked. I think a fear of failure creeps up on me at moments like this, but it only makes me be more focused on my goals afterwards as I can change things that have not worked and try again.

I wish I had been more realistic in how much stock I need at the start of my business. I was so eager to start that I ended up with too much stock. Now I know that, going forward, planning how much stock I need and keeping track of my inventory is vital.

What has been the biggest takeaway from your experience? 


'Be prepared to make mistakes.' I think when I started by business, I was so focused on having a perfect website, having best selling products straight away but in reality this was to ambitious. If something does not work out first time then that is fine! Asking my customers for feedback has been really beneficial in helping me change things for the better. Having your own business is all about learning and developing. Nothing happens overnight!

Starting my business has helped me grow as a person. It gives you a sense of purpose, responsibility, achievement. It develops important skills such as customer service, organization and time management - it is definitely worth doing if anybody is unsure whether it is worth it! 


Visit The Kindness Capsule website here


With thanks to Tamzin Meyer
Edited by Bob Lee - B-Enterprising, University of Birmingham

No comments:

Post a Comment